FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:12:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FB Sedan Project (newbie)  (Read 4818 times)
AshFB

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2005, 03:59:45 AM »

Hi Guys,
I have recently purchased an FB Sedan (Perth, WA) and I'm after help/advice/recommendations.
The car is a rolling chassis at the moment and came with most of the old (138, manual) running gear.

I am still trying to decide what I should replace it with - 186, 202, VL, V6........
The more I look into the conversions, the more involved, difficult & costly they appear to be.

My latest train of thought is to put in a mild 202, muncie 4sp manual (on the floor), hr front end (disc/drum ?) and (do you need to change the outriggers when fitting the HR to an FB ?).
Brakes & Steering - TBA ?
Diff - TBA ?

Any advice, parts, tips are welcomed.
Thanks
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 04:22:46 AM »

if you are thinking of going for a v6, personally why bother, exactly the same amount of work as putting a v8 in-although depending on if you go for the ecotec v6 or the later alloytec or the chev v6(carby motor).to put in a injected v6 it is a lot more work than its worth (personal opinion), as you have to go through a lot more hassles.

if you were goign for a SBC(tell us where you are located-as rules change from state to state) go into the search engine on this site and take a look through previous posts-im sure that this will help you out alot!!!!!!

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 06:42:05 PM »

The cheapest way out is red 6 cylinder 4 speed box HR disc front end, booster and HR drum rear end. Remove old Regulator. Wire in alternator. Yes you do have to change the outrigger easy job to do and the hump in the floor may need to be modified as well. If the car is an Auto the hump should be ok, just cross - member mounting point. Hope this brief info helps you and good luck with it.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
AshFB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 08:49:19 PM »

TorqueFC - Fair point.  You may be able to give me some advice on this SBC then.

You May Call Me Sir - Thanks for your advice.  How do you change the outriggers and what do you replace them with ?

I have just been offered a 305 Chev at a reasonable price and need to make a decision ASAP if I want it.
Does anyone know anything about the 305 Chev ?
Will it go into the FB without to much drama/modifications ?

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 10:32:00 PM »

there would not be any problems fitting any sbc to an fb. i have a fully rebuilt 307 up for grabs, selling for a lot less than it owes-pm me if interested. as for the outriger

the most simplest front end conversion to do would be upgrading to hr. it is quite easy to do a outrigger swap-whether you do it yourself or do a changerover with rod shop in castlemaine vic. to do it yourself all you need to do is have your bare hr crossmember. grind off the rivets and remove the outrigger. then sit your front end onto your subframe. for this you will neeed to source a ej outrigger-this works best for this conversion.  then you simply set up the front mount onto the subframe and tack the outrigger onto the crossmember-if you have any questiosn dont be afraid to ask!
there are quite a few things that you need to aquire to do the conversion-as i said dont be afraid to ask we are a friendly bunch and are here to help!

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 01:28:57 AM »

Will it go into the FB without to much drama/modifications ?

there is loads of info on this throughout the forum, try searching some terms like Chev, conversion etc.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
AshFB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 10:38:19 PM »

That's for the advice guys.
This is an excellent forum with plenty of experience / advice.

Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances I am selling the car (unless I can find somewhere to store it for a few years).  It is an excellent project car for anyone interested, with plenty of time & $$$$ spent on the bodywork.
GM

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 06:42:37 PM »

TorqueFC, how much for the307? [0409782363]
                 cheers     Glenn m

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)