FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:55:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bought this today  (Read 17308 times)
heavyduty1340

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »

I have lurked here for ages, and finally picked up this project today

Spent too much money modding current Commodores, so its time to add an oldie to the shed for some variety!

Plan is to drive it, and get to know it for a year or two while collecting parts and knowledge to do an ls1 4sp auto conversion

Apparently the car was bought this way from Qld this way approx 6 yrs ago

Paint is ordinary now, but body looks prety honest

Interior is really good

Any info on ls1 conversion would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Faedy
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:51:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new addition.
Looks like a unique FE you have.
Good luck with your planned mods.
Enjoy the participation of the forum.
Regards
Alex

Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

Looks great. Welcome to the forum.
As a fellow newbie, I can highly recommend the site for the now ledge pool and the incredibly helpful members.

heavyduty1340

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »

Cheers

I will chew your ears, dont worry

Its good to have an Ol' Girl again.
Stash
nsw-club

Sydney, NSW

johnchaplin
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »

That would be "knowledge pool" - damn auto correct
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »

Looks COOL, hope you enjoy cruising in her.

Dean.
heavyduty1340

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 08:22:23 PM »

Done a few km in her now, and am slowly finding all of her faults/features

The 202 is pretty tired, but will survive for a while yet

Windows winders are really hard to use

Windscreen wipers - well the look the part, but thats all

Steering column is about 6 inches too long (what a problem to have!!)

Steering (with hr front end) is soooo heavy, and I need two footy fields to pull a u turn)

Brakes are ok, but I'd like better (Im used to Brembo's or Alcon 6 or 8 piston set ups )

key doesnt open glove box

keys dont operate door locks

rear air shocks drop air every few days

I want to work my way through the list, starting with door locks first

Im leaning towards a supercharged v6 motor since Im only allowed a 253 v8 in it over here

Have been thinking about looking for a complete vs or vt commodore as a donor
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:13:43 PM »

Thats a cool looking set of wheels, if you go the V6 option you will have plenty on the forum who can guide you along as this is a popular engine swap. As the other guys have said, welcome aboard and don't be shy in asking questions, as thats the only way to find out if you are doing something the right way, it helped me when I started and in turn I have helped others and no doubt you will do the same.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »

Nice pickup.

welcome to the forum and good luck with your plans.

Cheers

Craig D
heavyduty1340

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »

What would be the best combo of brakes to use if I was to put a V8 or super6 into her.

I like brakes that have good pedal feel, and a nice "safe" feeling when applied, not the sort that are either on or off?

I have some Std VT V8 brakes, as well as some 320mm 4 piston PBR Monaro/GTO brakes kicking around - has anyone tried these before?

Cheers
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

The feel you get is from the master cylinder choice. A 1 inch bore master cylinder tends to give a nice feel but not combined with VT calipers. I personally don't like the VT calipers because of their piston retraction system which was built in to try to solve the rotor warping problem. The Monaro brakes are much better but more difficult to make brackets for. Using a twin bore master out of a VT or later will give a better feel and a bit less pedal free play if using the VT brakes. The majority of the Hoppers Stoppers brake kit conversions that I designed used The AU falcon caliper which looks similar to VT but without the piston retraction system. A much nicer caliper.

All of these brake systems use a minimum 15 inch wheel - The monaro may even be a 16 inch wheel.

Ken
FE 4 ME
qld-club

Model: FE

"A Sweet Sensation"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »

KEN nearly everytime i read your posts i learn something in depth

you sure are an asset to this forum and ALL HOLDEN enthusiasts

KEN... You've done it again !!!!

FE 4 ME

$$$ Parts Catalogue 1948-1969 for sale ONLY $15 $$ all Money goes to the FE/FC Club QLD PM Me to get this great Catalogue
heavyduty1340

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:37:01 PM »

Ken

Thank you very much for the info

I have 2 sets of Monaro brakes and rotors in the shed, but I think you would need either 16's or 17's depending on dish of wheel

I have a set of VT V8 calipers as well - what is the piston retraction method of them that you dont like? I have them on a drag car, so you have got my interest now!!

I will look into the Hoppers stoppers Au set-up
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »

When you take your foot off the brake pedal in a VT the piston retracts slightly due to the geometry of the piston/rubber. This draws the pad further away from the rotor, but means that when you next apply the brakes there is a small "take up" where the piston pushes forward again - hence the "fast fill" or "2 stage bore" on the VT master cylinder. Running a straight 1 inch bore master with VT calipers gives a soft pedal till about a third of the way down until the free travel is taken up. Not overly dangerous but it does take getting used to and doesn't provide the "feel" that you desire.

Ken
JB
Guru

Model: FE

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »

Ken, so from memory the only way to keep the 'feel' with VT calipers is for the use of the VT booster, correct?

Phone +64 223509263
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 08:07:40 AM »

When you take your foot off the brake pedal in a VT the piston retracts slightly due to the geometry of the piston/rubber. This draws the pad further away from the rotor, but means that when you next apply the brakes there is a small "take up" where the piston pushes forward again - hence the "fast fill" or "2 stage bore" on the VT master cylinder. Running a straight 1 inch bore master with VT calipers gives a soft pedal till about a third of the way down until the free travel is taken up. Not overly dangerous but it does take getting used to and doesn't provide the "feel" that you desire.

Ken
I got around the displacement problem when using VT brake calipers .by using a Subaru Forester 1 1/16'' bore master cylinder on a reverse mount I made and  fitted to a Hotrod under the dash as it was a little smaller than the VT one...probably  no advantage over the VT if space was not an issue   Huh Huh Huh......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
heavyduty1340

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »

Well I just had a VS holden rack front mounted to a fully rebuilt HR front end, along with a 3" shortened and collapsable steering column added to the old girl.

Wow how easy is the steering now

We have had a Qld bloke move over here (Phils diffs and suspension) - he made up the column for me

The next step now is to drop in a commodore diff, and swap all brakes and suspension, and we are well on our way to getting the old pig to handle/steer and stop.

Im going to go the commodore stud pattern as rims are freely available for that style.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: