FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:16:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Top Gear Show  (Read 7374 times)
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »

Need HQ sedan for Top Gear Australia

urgently read on

David Guy

48-78 Holden Car Club Hunter Valley inc

P.O Box 4146 Edgeworth 2285  N.S.W

http://www.48to78holden.com Ph 0437 993251 or  0408 680709

From: George Lykouras [mailto:george.lykouras@freehandtv.com.au]
Sent: Monday, 7 June 2010 11:00 AM
To: guyd@idl.com.au
Cc: editor@48to78holden.com
Subject: Holden HQ

Hi David,

Thank-you for the chat this morning.

I am urgently looking for a HQ (1974 or earlier) Kingwood sedan for use in Top Gear Australia shoot.

Can must be registered and available for sale to Top Gear.

Preferably manual transmission but will consider automatic.

Can you please pass on my request to your members. They can contact me in the office on 02 8514 5417.

My budget is around 4K.

Any help is appreciated.

George.

George Lykouras
Production Coordinator - Top Gear Australia
Freehand Productions
P.O. Box 443, Glebe NSW 2037
t +61 2 8514 5417 |  F +61 2 9518 9455 | M +61 417 346 174
If anyone has a HQ here you go.
Regards
Red_devil
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »

What are the 'odds' that it won't be trashed?
Geoff_K
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:49:10 AM »

Anything like the BBC show - I wouldn't give any odds at all.

Is the Oz version of Top Gear really as shite as everyone tells me?

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Rabbitoh
vic-club

Model: FE

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:23:23 AM »

I think the BBC original has gone to the shite house as well. If they do one more pointless "challenge" (that serves no purpose other than to give Clarkson and co. another reason to show their immaturity), I will give it an even wider berth than I do already.
A bit more analysis of cars (both new ones and 'classics') would be great wouldn't it?

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2024?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2024?
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »

I think the BBC original has gone to the shite house as well. If they do one more pointless "challenge" (that serves no purpose other than to give Clarkson and co. another reason to show their immaturity), I will give it an even wider berth than I do already.
A bit more analysis of cars (both new ones and 'classics') would be great wouldn't it?
Fifth Gear is much better for a real car show, there are some pointless "challenges" thrown in but generally it's a great show with reviews, showdowns etc.

mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »

I have to be the stick in the spokes here and say that I think Top Gear deserves it's title as the most watched show in television history.  It has now become so popular that it has gone past being a show JUST about cars, it is more of a comedy/variety show.  The fact that it has bucket loads of hot cars getting the crap flogged out of them is just a bonus.

The challenges they do are nothing short of hilarious!!!! 

To round off my argument, EVEN my missus loves the show and for her to even remotely like anything to do with cars is a miracle!

I could watch it all day!

MICK
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:31:58 PM »

What makes it so funny, is that if any of the cars broke down you would see 3 grown whimpering men reaching frantically for their iPhones to dial the NRMA.

Of course I'm just saying this because I'm insanely jealous that I dont get paid lots of $$ to drive some of the world's most modern and desirable cars... *sigh*

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »

What are the 'odds' that it won't be trashed?
Geoff_K

Well, the fact they're looking to buy and not hire one tells you all you need to know...

Is the Oz version of Top Gear really as shite as everyone tells me?

No.

I think the first two seasons of TGA compare very well to early TGUK. It's unfair IMO to expect TGA to be the equal of the UK version, considering the enormous difference in budget, and the fact that TGUK is in its 13th season, or thereabouts. It's just completely unreasonable to expect the local version (to us, not Paul!) to be on par. Australians are strangely schizophrenic sometimes: enormous national pride in some things, and appalling cultural cringe in others.

Have a look at the pre-James May days of TGUK, the Oz version is at least as good.

RET
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:00:57 PM by RET » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FCGos

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »

What makes it so funny, is that if any of the cars broke down you would see 3 grown whimpering men reaching frantically for their iPhones to dial the NRMA.

Actually you don't need to dial NRMA anymore as they have an iPhone app available that will automatically book you call for HELP and even locate you via GPS coordinates.

Cheers Wayne
pedro
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 07:03:56 AM »

No.

I think the first two seasons of TGA compare very well to early TGUK. It's unfair IMO to expect TGA to be the equal of the UK version, considering the enormous difference in budget, and the fact that TGUK is in its 13th season, or thereabouts. It's just completely unreasonable to expect the local version (to us, not Paul!) to be on par. Australians are strangely schizophrenic sometimes: enormous national pride in some things, and appalling cultural cringe in others.

Have a look at the pre-James May days of TGUK, the Oz version is at least as good.

RET

I agree RET, I thought the TGA show was quite good, it's completely unfair to compare a new show with an established one as sometimes it takes a while for the charactors to become familiar to us before we accept them, at least it gave us something else to watch besides repeats of American sitcoms or crime shows.
     Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: