FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:26:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC 2 Door Wagon?  (Read 8260 times)
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2006, 02:40:03 AM »

These two pics were posted on the ozrodders site...

... anybody shed some light on this? Is it factory? How many were made? etc, etc

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 03:59:52 AM »

I'm no guru...just some lamen who notices silly things.

On the rear door, where the door would normally have a gap, there is an evident rust stain running vertically exactly where you would expect to see a door gap.

This could be where the original door was welded up and the rust is coming through Huh? Huh Huh

Also if you follow the lower edge of the door, seems to be what looks like bubble flaky bog Huh  Huh Huh

Just an observation of a photo...I'd say a one of a kind custom or home job.

Either way.....a great find !   Is it worth grabbing, or is it really far gone ?

Mark
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:11:12 AM »

Hi.
My guess is it is a panelvan conversion. Wagons didn't have the spare whell door or bumperettes. The "Vanettes" were a conversion available back then. Apparently, from what Ken has said, it was cheaper to get a new panelvan converted, than to buy a new wagon! Would love to see the compliance plates.

That rear seat frame would be a great score. Also, you would find the front seat may have a fold forward hinge set up. That would be a treasure for rare conversion bits I think!

Rob J
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 04:12:39 AM by 4hammers » Logged

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 05:03:28 AM »

Almost certainly a panel-van, probably what was known as a "Station Waggon".  These weren't made by GM-H, but were panel-van conversions done by body-building/coach-building firms.  In this particular example, the existence of the spare-wheel door makes a modified wagon with welded-up doors seem unlikely.  For that matter if you were going to weld up the doors, why wouldn't you keep the standard glass?  Fitting Canopy Industries-style windows to a modified wagon would seem an odd thing to do.  Not impossible, but unlikely.

Anyhow, back to Vanettes and Station Waggons in general, which are quite interesting in themselves.  A price-list I have from W.T. Coggins shows the following:

FC-215: £ 1110.13.6
FC-217: £ 1142.1.0 (ie +£31 over 215)
FC-225: £ 1173.8.6 (ie +£63 over 215)

FC-219: £ 1213.10.6 (ie +£103 over 215)
FC-229: £ 1276.5.6 (ie +£63 over 219, or +£166 over 215!)

FC-2106: £ 1010.7.6 (ie -£100 against 215)
FC-2104: £ 1021.15.10 (ie -£89 against 215)

- Factory option (rear window)
FC-2104 RPO 333: £ 1027.10.0 (ie -£83 against 215)

- Dealer options
FC-2104 "Admiral" De Luxe Panel Van (Canopy*, Sliding Windows): £ 1097.16.4 (ie +£87 over base van)
FC-2104 Station Waggon (Canopy, Sliding Windows & Rear Seat: 6 passenger): £ 1132.16.4 (ie +£111 over base van, but -£81 against 219!)

The "Station Waggon" didn't include fold-down front seats as standard (although some conversions do exist**), so it would have been a right mongrel to get in and out of with any frequency, but the difference in price compared to a standard wagon is amazing.  When you look at this, it's little wonder the 219 was made in such few numbers.  It really seems to be a car without a market.  (There was an article about this in Sideplate Vol 24 No 7)

The "Admiral" version is the one sometimes called a "vanette", and occasionally (and erroneously) as a "Sedan Delivery".

cheers
RET

* The term "Canopy" here I believe refers to the fitting of wagon side glass.
** If this one has been converted, it looks like the pivot position is on the floor!  Only practical when you've removed the steering column...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 05:04:27 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 05:07:10 AM »

Sounds fair to me.....I must admit, I didn;t think about the spare wheel door and bumperettes.....goes to show I own a sedan hey ?

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 10:42:58 AM »

I have a couple of these, an FE Panelvan with wagon glass, two tone paint, full headlining, no spare tyre door & Station Sedan rear quarter badges. It does not have any rear seat fitted.

Also have an FC Panelvan, it too has wagon glass, it also has a wagon rear seat and a front bench seat with a crook lookin hinge setup to allow the whole front seat to hinge up to allow access to the rear.

Needless to say I never tried to wriggle in there for fear of never getting out again. It does have the spare tyre door.

The front seat is a correct panel van seat with the ply backing & the rear seat is in the matching standard pattern.

Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: