FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:24:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: radial tyres  (Read 4845 times)
fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2004, 06:57:25 AM »

Hi ,Iwish to fit radial tyres to my F.C.,and need some info pls ,can I fit radials to the original rims ?will fit tubes if required ,would like to have a one inch whitewall ,does anyone know of a suitable tyre ?eg ,brand , size ,and where to get these ,I have been looking but am not having much luck .would like to keep the look as original as possible ,I am in country Vic .thanks guys  Steve .

Sale Victioria
craiga
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:44:40 AM »

Steve,

I have 175 x 75 x 13's on my sedan however these are lower profile than the original fitment (6.40 x 13) and in my opinion will make the car's gearing too short for comfortable freeway use if you use the cars' standard 3.89 diff. I have a 3.36 diff centre in my car and it cruises easily at 60-70 MPH.

You can buy 185 x 80 x 13's - these are close but still smaller in rolling circumference than the 6.40 x 13's.

Both sizes WILL fit OK on the standard rims, but you should fit tubes if you have the orignal type riveted rims which tend to leak if the rivets aren't sealed properly.

There has been some posts about this a while back - some guys were great and listed suppliers who still had the hard to come by 185 x 80 x 13's.

Good Luck,

Craig.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 08:05:30 PM by craiga » Logged
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 07:46:29 PM »

G'day Steve,
I have Cooper tyres on my FC with a thin whitewall. I think they are 175 80 -13   Huh. I purchased these from Antique Tyre Supplies in Heidelberg Vic. I've found them to be a very nice tyre to drive on, with quite good grip levels.

All Holdens came from the factory as tubeless from about 1956. I run mine tubeless and don't have any trouble with leaks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Graham.
craiga
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 09:50:27 PM »

Found this on the web http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

It's a fantastic tyre size calculator allowing you to compare original tyres with replacement sizes. Even shows speedo error calculation. Very nice tool.

Thanks to our Miata (MX-5) friends in the U.S for development.

Here is what it says about the 185 x 80 x 13 and the 185 x 75 x 13.

And below are the details for the 6.40 x 13 original fitment tyres.

Information overload!!!

Cheers,

Craig.
fcee
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 06:44:15 AM »

Thanks for the info ,looks like a set of coopers and a trip to  Antique tyre Supplies ,does any one know of a place to buy a suitable trim ring for an F.C. ?

Sale Victioria
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 10:58:02 PM »

Hey top info Craig now I can be sure I'm not speeding.What would this do to fuel ecconomy?
Cheers,
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: