FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:27:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Newest family member  (Read 29683 times)
weddo
tas-club

Model: FC

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »

Purchase this in Victoria, picked up an unregistered vehicle permit and drove it back to Tassie Saturday (via the boat) arrived home today. Went like a dream.

goes like the proverbial, gunna have some fun !!

regards
Weddo

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 07:51:52 AM »

Looks cool - what's the back-story of the car?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:55:24 AM »

Weddo, you're in serious danger of being labeled a bloody big teaser...

Best you rectify this promptly with more pics, and lots more info....    please?

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 02:09:36 PM »

OK. I was in the process of starting to build a replica Repco powered FC Race Car, but my investigations to date have not turned up much history on FC race cars let alone Repco Powered ones. There have been a few FE's and Humpies all repco powered but not an FC as far as i can find out.

A friend of mine sent me some info on this car which had just come up for sale for the first time in nearly thirty years.
It is the only current log booked group Nb FC race car in Australia and as such I thought it was worth having a look at. It has also been on club plates for the last ten years or so.

When I first met the owner about six weeks ago and had a look at the car I knew I should buy it and preserve it in its current state. No expense has been spared developing the car over the years and it came with plenty of spares. The only proviso the owner had, was that it couldn't be taken before the Sandown 60th where he had been invited to display the car and do a few demo laps, so I waited patiently for three weeks and brought it home this week end.

I drove it from Tooradin, up the M1 to my sons place in Port Melbourne and when I arrived, Judi kicked me out of the drivers seat and did a couple of laps around Port Melbourne - race tyres, side pipe, loud and with the biggest grin on her face.

We will road register the car (temporary exhaust change) and possibly do some regularity runs, club days etc and maybe a Targa in the future, but most of all get out and enjoy it along with our other FC's

I will post some more pic's when I down load them

regards

Weddo
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »

Weddo,

Congratulations on your purchase, you should be able to have a lot of fun in her Grin Grin

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »

You bloody big tease Weddo! Tell Judi I'm jealous BIG Time! More pics you bugger! Maybe one day................

Colin. (a frustrated EH driver)

colt
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 07:15:46 PM »

Click on the pic, it will open in another tab, its a beauty.
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 07:54:38 PM »

Well done Weddo, these cars dont come around very often so it is good to see it go to a deserving owner. I have known this car for years and have seen it in action many times. The guy who built the engine a few tiimes lives in Pakenham and did the machining for my engine for my wagon. Brendon, the previous owner, raced this car against Eddie Dobbs, who owns Blanchards old FE, many times and at alot of different tracks.
 Well done to the Wedds on the purchase.
Cheers Scotty
simins
vic-club

Our Toys

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »

congratulations weddo the car looks great love to see it in the flesh
customFC
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 01:06:50 AM »

Hey Weddo
Saw that up for sale.
It seems like a nice car with a bit of history behind it.
Looks like a whole bunch of fun.
Congrats on the new addition.
Now what are you going to do with that Repco?
Regards
Alex

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »

Hi Alex,
I am still in the process of fitting up every thing to the head and have had to make some new intake runners to fit the solex carbies to the manifold, then sorting out one of my spare blocks to take the 12:1 pistons and machining the block for the offset pushrods.  I was going to take the worked 186 out of Judi's FC and replace it with a 253 I have in the shed, but might now do the swap with the Repco and have 3 "grey " powered FC's

Regards
Weddo

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 01:26:23 PM »

A couple more pics.

regards

Weddo
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »

Weddo, Love it! Very very cool.

Colin.

colt
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »

Looking great Weddo
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »

Weddo,

It must have a fairly grumpy motor to need that subframe to motor bracket.

Do you know the engine specs?

A really nice looking car, by the way  Smiley

Ol_Girl_58
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 09:10:28 AM »

Lucky bugger, wish it were mine Wink mate whats the go with the top radiator hose where it comes into the head? I haven't seen one like it before is it an older race car modification and I assume its purpose is for heat distribution Huh when I first looked I thought they went in through the temp sender and heater holes but when I clicked on the pic to enlarge it I see that there is in fact four entry points machined into the head.
Could anyone please give me the how and why of this mod please.

Mick Cool
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
+1

mate whats the go with the top radiator hose where it comes into the head? I haven't seen one like it before is it an older race car modification and I assume its purpose is for heat distribution Huh when I first looked I thought they went in through the temp sender and heater holes but when I clicked on the pic to enlarge it I see that there is in fact four entry points machined into the head.

Could anyone please give me the how and why of this mod please.

Mick Cool

Mick,

This mod was common in Grey motors that engaged in combat on the race track. Due to the poor design of the water circulation throughout the engine, the Grey Motor developed steam pockets in the head when in full war cry, as a result, heads developed cracks and headgaskets felt the need to be elsewhere with great regularity.

To solve this problem the thermostat was blocked off and holes were drilled at even points along the head. A coolant "manifold" was then made up to allow steam pockets to escape and return the water to the radiator. some cars even had a second radiator fitted, some were fitted "piggyback" style onto the original radiator.

I have also shown some photo's below that were taken by Alex (Custom FC) that shows the same type of plumbing that was used on the Waggot twin cam head. I have also included the link to the thread below.

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,14965.0.html

Also, in relation to the front stay, the reason that would be there is that if the front engine mount broke, which those with out stays or chains tended to do regularly, the engine would then twist about. Some that had two radiators mounted up front, would have the engine set back to allow the clearance. I have seen engines move about enough to either break the front universal joint or push the distributor cap onto the firewall, causing the rotor button to shatter inside.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
fc4me

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »

Hi Weddo was that John Keanes old car at one stage?
weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 10:06:04 PM »

Hi all,
fc4me the car was owned by Brendon Wilson for 28ys so I don't know if John Keanes had it or not,
Keith is exactly correct in his description of the watering system
Ol_Girl_58 the motor has a very lumpy cam and is a bit of a pig down low. I will post the motor specs when I have all the info together.
The car has a 'fully sick' motor (lots of work to the head, big cam, billet distributor, tuff botom end, good pistons etc)  "Tony Zinner" built gear box (grey with a lot of EH internals) HD drum front end with large ventilated drums, EH rear end, stops on a dime and goes like buggery.

Regards
Weddo
newman

The older I get, the faster I was !!!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 08:37:58 AM »

Keith,
Thanks for your detailed answer to my cooling system question, I can only imagine the time and thought that went in to developing this modification. The link to the Dunstan and Waggot head pictures was great, I've read a bit on the Dunstan rotary head and the Repco cross flow before but now I'll have to "google"up a search on the Waggot. Mate I live in south east NSW where could I go to see cars like Weddo's race or displayed?
(Although I prefer to see them in action rather than on static display Wink)
Mick Cool
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: