FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 15, 2024, 09:05:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Project - How bad does rust have to be?  (Read 22917 times)
Neil1958

Located Bahrs Scrub, Queensland

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »

Hey Guys,

A quick question... how bad does rust have to be for a project to be unviable? The Images are of the cross member. There are some other rust areas, but this one is my main concern.

Everything is fixable, but when do you not bother? And if I went ahead, how much do you think it would cost?

Feedback is appreciated guys...

PS: I haven't bought the car as yet

Cheers,

Neil
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:00:17 PM »

Neil,

Don't walk away from a bargain like this......RUN

Seriously, have a look at some of the other posts that others have done to give you an idea of the work that you will have to do. The question you need to ask yourself is can you do most of the work, or will you be paying someone to do the work. If it is the latter then you will pay more to have the repairs done than what you would have paid to get a better car

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,12189.0.html

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13258.0.html

Unless you really want to save this car then you will probably be better off to find a car in better condition. In relation to cost, again it will depend if you will be doing most of it yourself, or will be paying someone to do it for you. Some parts are not obtainable through reproduction and others don't quite fit as they should. To have the parts made from scratch, if you are unable to do it yourself will be quite expensive.

Me, if I were in the position that you are in, would purchase the car for parts, and parts only, on the condition that I could use the parts that were remaining on the vehicle and that it would cost me substantially more to purchase the parts elsewhere.

I hope that this has helped

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:18:02 PM »

I would be concerned by this car as it has been repaired once already and there will be surprises underneath that you can't see yet.
The subframe appears to have been welded to the body which is indicative of a dodgy repair so I agree with Keith.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »

If the rest of the car is in reasonable shape go ahead and repair it once all the rusted sections are removed it wont seem so bad as looking at it in its present form..... FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:10:39 PM »

Thanks Guys,

The sad thing is that the rest of the car is pretty original with limited cancer in some places. 

I would get someone to do the work particularly as it is structural, and yes I did note the dodgy previous job. The asking price is 4k, so to buy for parts would not see the return. I am setting myself a realistic budget to restore one to original, so I will think about holding off until one with better undercarriage comes along. It has to be a 58 FC and you know better than I how few good ones there are around.

You never know though, I would love to save the old girl, so I just might have a brain fade and rescue it Smiley

I really appreciate the feedback...

I will keep you posted.

Neil
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:35 PM »

Me again,

Just checked on the rare Spares site and they have rust replacement sections for a reasonable cost.

It may still be worth the gamble!

Neil
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »

Neil,

My concern is that it has been poorly repaired before, it has also been sprayed underneath with sound deadener which may hide other repairs that have been made that may not be up to scratch. Check the sills, particularly at the bottom of the "A" Pillar to see if there has been any previous repair there. Also check the straightness of the sills, does it look like there have been any previous repairs that may have been "bogged up". Lift the floor covereing to check on the inside of the floors to see if there have been any previous repairs and to assess the condition of the surrounding panels.

Have a look at the underneath of the doors, again to see if there have been any previous repairs, to see if there is any corrosion present etc. Have a look at the subframe, at the mounting points to check to see what repairs have been done in the past. The subframe should unbolt, if it is welded as it appears to be, it could well be a recipe for disaster. It will be time consuming to return it to the way it was originally. Check all the subframe, near the sway bar mounts, the battery tray for any signs of previous repair or corrosion.

It may look the part, particularly if it received an attempted restoration only a few years ago. At $4K I would think that there are better cars out there than this one.

I may be wrong and the corrosion limited to just this spot, but I have been around cars for a lot of years and this is unlikely, it seems more plausible that there are past repairs that may be hidden.

As they say in the classics "Caveat Emptor" (Buyer Beware)

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 07:17:44 AM »

Neil,

My concern is that it has been poorly repaired before, it has also been sprayed underneath with sound deadener which may hide other repairs that have been made that may not be up to scratch. Check the sills, particularly at the bottom of the "A" Pillar to see if there has been any previous repair there. Also check the straightness of the sills, does it look like there have been any previous repairs that may have been "bogged up". Lift the floor covereing to check on the inside of the floors to see if there have been any previous repairs and to assess the condition of the surrounding panels.

Have a look at the underneath of the doors, again to see if there have been any previous repairs, to see if there is any corrosion present etc. Have a look at the subframe, at the mounting points to check to see what repairs have been done in the past. The subframe should unbolt, if it is welded as it appears to be, it could well be a recipe for disaster. It will be time consuming to return it to the way it was originally. Check all the subframe, near the sway bar mounts, the battery tray for any signs of previous repair or corrosion.

It may look the part, particularly if it received an attempted restoration only a few years ago. At $4K I would think that there are better cars out there than this one.

I may be wrong and the corrosion limited to just this spot, but I have been around cars for a lot of years and this is unlikely, it seems more plausible that there are past repairs that may be hidden.

As they say in the classics "Caveat Emptor" (Buyer Beware)

Keith

Thanks Keith,

Yep after a nights sleep and in the light of day i would agree. If I can pick it up for parts then so be it, otherwise I will keep on looking.

Thanks very much again for your time and opinions... greatly appreciated.

Neil
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »

I think you made the right choice mate 4k is way too much for a rusty FC as this

1959 Black Std sedan
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 03:19:57 PM »

G'day Neil, as some one who has been down this road if you can't do the work yourself forget it, just do the sums 
                                           car   $4000
                                 rust repairs  $1000
                                          paint  $5000
                                    rubber kit  $2000
                                             =   $12000 (estimate)

And that's not touching mechanicals, upholstery etc, you would be much better off finding a car that has already been done, you would get something really nice for a lot less than that.
                       Pedro

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »

G'day Neil, as some one who has been down this road if you can't do the work yourself forget it, just do the sums 
                                           car   $4000
                                 rust repairs  $1000
                                          paint  $5000
                                    rubber kit  $2000
                                             =   $12000 (estimate)

And that's not touching mechanicals, upholstery etc, you would be much better off finding a car that has already been done, you would get something really nice for a lot less than that.
                       Pedro

Cheers Mate,

Yep that would be the easy option, but really want to do one from scratch... they were about the numbers I was thinking of, plus trim etc... so it is in the ballpark.

Cheers again,

Neil
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 06:02:03 PM »

Mate if your really keen go for it.
But 4k will buy you a far better starting point is all.

1959 Black Std sedan
yogie

Geelong Vic

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:30:57 PM »

the main point here is your ability to be able to it yourself (hopefully) then tell this bloke you give him half what he asking, mind you show him the cash and be prepared to walk away. The other half get the undercarriage sand blasted, not the top half.  Roll Eyes then if its not going to work out, recpoup your losses buy sectioning the good bits for other guys rust repairs, cant gaunetee you'll get it all back, you might though. I would hazzard a guess that quite a few blokes here have thrown good money away on projects that never got past stripping a car.

GOOD LUCK

Hey Guys,

A quick question... how bad does rust have to be for a project to be unviable? The Images are of the cross member. There are some other rust areas, but this one is my main concern.

Everything is fixable, but when do you not bother? And if I went ahead, how much do you think it would cost?

Feedback is appreciated guys...

PS: I haven't bought the car as yet

Cheers,

Neil
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »

car   $4000
                                 rust repairs  $1000
                                          paint  $5000
                                    rubber kit  $2000
                                             =   $12000 (estimate)

Pedro

mmm...as someone who was not able to do bodywork myself....I have spent a truckload more than $1000 on rust repairs! Shocked At current prices that would only get you a few days of someone's time. Find the best body that you can...

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 02:21:42 PM »

Find the best body that you can...

As the actess said to the bishop ...

Are we talking cars here?   Grin

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
GMB-58FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 02:24:32 PM »

Neil if you dont want to tackle it feel free to pass it my way Wink

Cheers Ben

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 02:50:07 PM »

Neil if you dont want to tackle it feel free to pass it my way Wink

Cheers Ben

Are you referring to martin's question, or the car?  Wink

I will keep you posted, and drop the contact details of the owner if it doesn't work out...

Cheers for the feedback guys... at some stage I will have one to work on Smiley

Neil
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 07:48:10 PM »

The rust in that car is not that bad and a good way to save money is to buy a second hand mig welder and do it yourself as they seem to be mostly 90 degree bends and taking a piece to your local trailer works or sheetmetal works they will bend you up a section and you can weld it in yourself. The car is by no means beyond repair with the pics shown and you would be surprised how much satisfaction you get by doing it. I do all my own repairs and found it to be many thousands of dollars cheaper to do it that way and I can also trust the workmanship as I have seen many shonky repairs done by panel replacers pretending to be panel beaters and they have a bad habit of using body sealer and bog to hide their mess. Good luck either way with what decision you make and I hope it all goes well.
cheers jason

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Neil1958

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »

Hey Guys,

OK... the fun starts... the seller has agreed to $2,500. It is a local pick-up so no transport costs.

I haven't done this before, but hey you need to spend time and money on something Smiley

Your collective feedback was more than useful, it gave me a great place to negotiate from, and made me very aware of what I am letting myself in for.

I will post some piccies as they come in, but will have to move to a different thread now I suppose Smiley

Hmmmm the things I do...

Cheers Guys, be prepared for all the gumby questions...

Neil
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »

Good Luck!

How about some nice pics of the car and not just the rotten tinworm stuff?  Grin

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: