FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:08:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: EH column in FC wiring  (Read 10583 times)
Addo

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »

Hi guys, The old girl has always been a wiring disaster but everything always seems to work. With the subframe makeover and Engine rebuild at Xmas I threw a EH column in and figured I'd do what I always used to do and get a wiring loom out of an EH or HR and upgrade the whole lot. Guess what? 6 months later rego is nearly up and the old hand signals are wearing a bit thin. With the mess already there has anyone got a guide for hooking up the EH blinker wiring to the old FC loom? (The red wire connected to the blue wire type of thing).
With thanks
Addo
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:39:15 AM »

You need to tell us whether the FC had rear blinkers in the tail lights or in the orange lens below the tail light, or a third option - that someone converted the car from red indicators to orange indicators by adding wires to the factory loom.

I know this may be difficult to remember or work out now, but before I can tell you which colours to hook up I need to know what was there in the start.

Ken
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:45:13 AM »

Thanks Ken,
No mods basic 58 FC wiring (as far as lights concerned). blinkers in the brakelight. Clear lense under red.
Much appreciated.
Addo
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 03:09:14 AM »

OK Indicators First.
Under the dash you should be able to identify the following
2 light blue wires with a light blue double connector
2 dark blue wires with a dark blue double connector
A black wire with a black connector attached to the stop light switch
A yellow wire with a red connector attached to the flasher can
A pink wire with a pink connector
A violet wire with a violet connector

From the EH column you should have the following
Light Blue wire
Dark Blue wire
Yellow wire
Pink wire
Violet wire
White wire

Connect up all like colours except that the black wire goes to the white wire.
Dark Blue is LHF indicators
Light Blue is RHF indicators
Pink is LHR indicators
Violet is RHR indicators
Yellow is power coming in from the indicator flash can
On the FC the black wire is power coming in from the brake light switch but on the EH the white wire is power coming in from the reverse light switch. So on an EH where the inicator overides the reverse light signal, it will work the same overiding the brake light signal on the FC.

Now for the horn
There should also be a Tan wire coming out from the column and also one under the dash with a connector. Hook these up as well

Ken
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 03:53:05 AM »

Thanks for your time and input Ken, looks like the old girl will get another 12 months on her. I can thaw out my right arm and wind the window up as well.
Addo
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »

thanks here too, i will soon be needing the same info!

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »

Thanks from me too Ken, EK Auto column into FC,

Anybody know where the Automatic cutout switch thingy on the column needs to be routed & wired into, ignition ? how many wires etc.

Ta Gary
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »

Gary the EK column isn't so easy, as it only has 3 wires coming out of the indictor mechanism instead of 6 in FE/FC and EJ onwards.  The FB and EK column are the only ones that don't have an overirde mechanism for rear indicators.
To wire up an EK column requires running extra wires along the length of the car and changing the rear lenses to orange and running them separate to the brake lights.
Sorry if this is bad news, Tongue
It may be possible to fit the FC indicator mechanism to the FB EK column - I have one of each here and they look very similar but I don't have an EK column to try it on.

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 12:19:44 AM »

Thanks for the tip Ken, as I have everything dissembled, I'll see if the FC one matches up, save a lot of stuffing around if it does.
Gary

Kat58

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:20:32 PM »

Great wiring tips, my ol'man fitted up a powerglide to th FC's grey motor and and re-fitted a EK column to a column shift auto by using a HR column and th wiring tips will come in handy,groovy stuff.
Poo Wagon Bloke

If its not Holden it Aint Golden!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 07:52:43 PM »

Thanks again Ken for more great advice.
I would like to use a shorter column in my FC Wagon.
Just one question if I may.
When you say to use an EH column, do yoy mean the whole sherbang, steering box and all?
Or do you mean to adapt the EH column to the FC steering box?
Thanks,
Alan

The Mighty Grey never dies!!
Kat58

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 11:15:07 PM »

Yeah um "poo wagon bloke" any column up to HR will bolt in cept th latter is too short and will put your
stock steering wheel in your lap, hence th reason we opted for th EK column and its stock 3 wired indicator assembly and due to th auto fitment we wired th HR neutral safety switch via a HR wireing diagram. It works like a treat' tho it has a accessory reverse lamp fitted as th car does not retain th original taillights or rear quarters anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: